Can i sue my former employer for more than the paycheck they owe me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i sue my former employer for more than the paycheck they owe me?

I am currently about to start a small claims suit against my former employer for withholding my

last check after terminating me. Losing this money caused my bank account to become

subject to fees, and I even had to push back moving into my apartment because of it. When I

file this claim should I demand more than they paycheck they owe me to cover these thing?

They owe me about $600. I was going to demand about $750. Is that doable?

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can demand and have a reasonable chance of recovering in court provable financial losses, so any overdraft fees, late payment fees (if you paid something late), interest incurred due to not having funds, etc. You cannot get compensation for inconvenience, frustration, etc., but only for provable, quantifiable losses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption