Can I sue my ex-boss for sexual harassment at work and retaliation?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my ex-boss for sexual harassment at work and retaliation?

He made comments to me daily and grabbed me and kissed me twice (once sticking tongue down my throat). He asked me how I liked it. He accused me of taking money but I didn’t. He ripped me off of money one time. He was afraid I would tell everyone and he wanted me out of there. He finally fired me and lied to me. He resigned a few days ago. I want to sue him for treating me so badly. I was a wreck.

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should be able to sue the ex-boss and very likely the employer, too.

1) Sexual harassment at work is illegal--period. What you described, forced intimate or physical contact and sexually based or charged comments, is as pure an example of sexual harassment as you're likely to find. There is no doubt but that his is wrongul.

2) Assault--which includes any forceable, unwanted contact--is both a tort (or something you could sue over) and a crime; and that goes as well for sexual assault, and kissing someone against their will is form of sexual assault. You could report him to the police and sue him on this basis, too.

3) Theft, too, is clearly both a tort (something to sue over) and a crime; therefore you could report him to the police and sue him for taking your money.

In short, you seem to have several grounds for a lawsuit. You should speak with an attorney right away about seeking compensation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption