Can I sue my employer for falsely accusing me for stealing after I reported my boss for harassment?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my employer for falsely accusing me for stealing after I reported my boss for harassment?

I recently reported my boss harassing me to Human Resources. Ever since, my boss has been making smart remarks and jokes hinting to the fact that I reported him. Just the other day he said that some inventory was missing and that I would get written up for it because I was the one who took count. I only took count. I was never in charge of what goes in or out in the inventory so I feel I’m not held accountable for that mistake. If all I know some other employee could have taken them. I feel as though he is trying to do anything to write me up to get fire me. Is this retaliation?

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you are being retaliated against at work because you reported your boss for harassment, you need to make another complaint against your boss with your human resources department about what is currently being done to you.

I would also go down to your local labor department and make a similar complaint against your employer to establish a further record as to what is happening in the workplace in the event matters become more difficult for you there.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption