Can i sue my employer for forwarding a statement that was supposed to be confidential?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i sue my employer for forwarding a statement that was supposed to be confidential?

My manager forwarded a
confidential statement i
made regarding harassment
to other employees via

Asked on March 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you most likely cannot effectively sue.
First, unless they agreed in advance in writing to confidentiality, they were not obligated legally to keep it confidential: even if you consider something confidential, that does not bind others unless they had agreed to it.
Second, even if they had agreed to confidentiality, the law only provides compensation for provable losses and injuries--not including emotional upset--which can be tracked or traced to the disclosure; so unless you can prove some concrete negative impact on you, even if you sued, you would not get any compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption