Can I sue my doctor or health insurance company for not telling me that my bipolar medication made my birth control pills ineffective?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my doctor or health insurance company for not telling me that my bipolar medication made my birth control pills ineffective?

I became pregnant through no fault of my own.

Asked on September 17, 2015 under Malpractice Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your insurance company does not practice medicine and had no obligation to provide medical advice vis-a-vis your medication. It was not your doctor.
As to your doctor the issue is, whether he or she was neglignt, or unreasonably careless. Did the doctor who prescribe the birth control pills know about the bipolor medication, or vice versa? Only if a doctor knows about all the medication might he/she be liable for the drug interactions.
Do you know that the bipolar medication made the birth control bills ineffective--that is, has the causality been established, such as by another doctor? There must be medical evidence to support this conclusion.
If the biopolar medication did render the birth control bills ineffective, was this a known side-effect? If not, a doctor is not liable for knowing it. And even if known, if it was a very low probability event very small chance of happening, it's not necessarily the case that the doctor had to warn you or change prescriptions--it depends upon how likely or unlikely it was.
In short, you can't sue the insurer and only may or might be able to sue the doctor. You should speak with an experienced medical malpractice attoreney to discuss the situtation in greater detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption