Can I sue my daughter’s boyfriend for getting my car seizedbecause he took it without permission and got a DUI?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my daughter’s boyfriend for getting my car seizedbecause he took it without permission and got a DUI?

I loaned my daughter my car to drive. Her boyfriend took the car without her permission. He got a DUI. It was his third. He went to jail for 8 days. I cannot get my car back and I owe about $3000 on it.

Asked on July 24, 2011 Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  First, did you report the car being stolen?  You should have without a doubt.  If he took it without your permission - you are the owner and the only one who can give permission - then you need to do so.  Can you sue him for the expenses?  Yes you can try.  He sounds like he may not have much to go after at this point in time but the judgement is good for many years.  File it with the county clerk.  garnish wages.  Levy on a bank account.  You just have to worry that he does not file for bankruptcy and list the judgement on his petition.  Then you  will be out of luck.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption