Can I sue my company for sexual harassment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my company for sexual harassment?

I was working with a small business. I was recently taken to a strip club by my manager 3 times. He was my third manager and I was trying to get him to acknowledge me. I had never been to a strip club before but I felt the need to go to impress him. As my manager I thought it would be irresponsible to take someone you manage to a strip club but didn’t say anything. My first 2 managers both disliked me, so I felt the need to be sure this one did.

Asked on July 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the manager required you to go to the strip club and you are female, this *may* be sexual harassment if there was any intention on his part to either make you uncomfortable or, conversely, to somehow titilate/excite you and institute an intimate relationship. On the other hand, if he simply takes *everyone* to strip clubs and was treating you "like one of the boys," then his would not be harassment; it would also not be harassment if you could have, without penalty, said "no" and not gone, but instead went of your own free will "to impress him" or "to get him to acknowledge" you. In these cases, there is no intention to harass and no misuse of power.
If you think that is intentions were to harass you in some way, then speak with the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency about filing a complaint, or with a private attorney about possibly suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption