Can I sue my college for poor class add/drop rules, and for withholding my transcript?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my college for poor class add/drop rules, and for withholding my transcript?

Here is the issue. I am interested in transferring to another college, and I needed to send my official transcript last week. However, I was unable to do so because the cashier student accounts office refuses to let go of transcripts until the remaining balance is paid for. That’s reasonable, but I need my official transcript, which means that I need the academic information that I did pay for in the fall and winter semesters. Since I am currently taking a spring/summer class, they feel that the money for that class should be paid for in order for me to send information about my previous semesters. What should I do? There are no exceptions.

Asked on June 2, 2013 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A college may generally withhold a transcript if the student is currently in arrears for any tuition or other amounts owed the school. You would not be likely to prevail if you sued the school for the transcript (a lawsuit is the only way to force them to do this if they refuse) and in any event, given the time a lawsuit can take, it would likely take too long. You may be best served by getting the money to pay the college the balance, even if you need to borrow it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption