Can I sue my college for failing to notify me of academic termination?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my college for failing to notify me of academic termination?

Basically my college has failed to notify me that I will be terminated from school and removed from school sponsored housing on Monday. They also had failed to notify me formally that I was placed on academic probation. I have not been able to attend my classes because I have been placed on modified activity due to my pregnancy that does not allow me to participate. I am currently in the process of filing an appeal for my dismissal at the end of the quarter but if I don’t attend tomorrow they will dismiss me on Monday.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under General Practice, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact an attorney immediately and not only petition the school for reinstatement but any hearings afforded to you or that should be afforded to you since you were not notified. You need an attorney well versed in education law to help you with this situation. Do not attempt to handle this on your own. You absolutely need to be notified of any issues that could impact your enrollment so you should consult with that attorney. Bring with you the school's handbook, rules, regulations, any new written information you received from the school and what you would like to see happen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption