Can I sue my boss for sharing my personal information with another employer?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my boss for sharing my personal information with another employer?

I work for a school, Employer A, that houses another company, Employer B, within the same building. I also work for the other company. So basically both of my bosses are in the same building but I work for different companies. A boss with Employer B shared with a boss of Employer A confidential background check information without my consent. I found out from Employer A; Employer B has

not discussed the information with me. I feel like my confidentiality has been breached. Should I get a lawyer?

Asked on June 24, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue them for this. The background check of you is not actually confidential in a legal sense, the way certain health-related information, your social security number, or your bank account number are. The background check is done using publically available information or sources; as such, it may be shared with anyone, since anyone could do their own check of those sources if they wanted. Anything derived from public records or sources is not confidential.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption