can i sue my bank and contractor for not finishing construction

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i sue my bank and contractor for not finishing construction

I took out a construction loan with local bank to build a new home. Construction is not complete but bank has made final payment to contractor without my permission. Contractor won’t finish job or fix the mistakes he made during construction that we brought to his attention then. Now we need more money to fix or finish the construction and can’t get any help.

Asked on December 4, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You may or may not be able to sue the bank: it depends on the terms under which you out the loan and whether or not your permission was required, under those terms, for this payment. If the bank violated the terms of the loan, you could sue based on breach of contract (the terms were part of or constituted a legal agreement).
You could sue the contractor also, based on some or all of breach of contract (not doing what they agreed do to do), fraud (lying about what they could or would do), and/or professional negligence (doing work that does not rise to commercially or professionally acceptable standards).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption