Can i sue hollister for not telling me about paid sick leave for 6 years ive been working as a part time in nyc?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i sue hollister for not telling me about paid sick leave for 6 years ive been working as a part time in nyc?

I have been working for hollister in nyc for 6 years part time and was never
told about paid sick leave. On my account online it says that i have
accumulated 42 hours for this year. My managers are acting clueless to
this. Is there a possibility to sue the company over this.

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no possibility of suing them: 1) the law does not put any obligation on employers to specifically disclose this without being asked; and 2) you could have asked at any time. When the other side does  not have an affirmative legal duty to do something, and when it is negligent, or careless, of you to not take action yourself, there is no liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption