Can I sue for wrongful termination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for wrongful termination?

I worked at Krispy Kreme for 2 years and I was
finally let go today. The reason I was let go
was because of my language. This happened
because my AGM was harassing an employee and
accused me of hitting him. I cursed him out
after the accusement and he cursed me out. I
was never written up before or got into
trouble. When I was terminated I didn’t even
get to talk to anyone at all.

Asked on April 17, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, what you describe is not wrongful; it is perfectly legal. Employment in the U.S. is "employment at will"; this means you can be terminated at any time, for any reason, without any prior warning or notice or any chance to defend or justify yourself. If the manager did not like your language or cursing, he could terminate you for that regardless of your past job performance, and you are not entitled to a chance to "talk to anyone" about the termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption