Can I sue for misuse of private information ?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for misuse of private information ?

I am a sub contractor in NYC, the General Contractor has on a number of occasions
shared my personal, business, payment and banking information with third parties,
with out my consent after being advised on a prior occasion NOT to share my info.

Do I have ground to sue for damages ?

Please advise

Much appreciated in advance.

Asked on August 3, 2019 under Business Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the general contractor for invasion of privacy. Invasion of privacy includes the public disclosure of private facts. Invasion of privacy also includes intrusion into a person's private affairs.
Damages for invasion of privacy include emotional distress. You may be able to recover punitive damages, which are a substantial amount to punish the intentional wrongful act of the general contractor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption