Can I sue for hit and run on private property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for hit and run on private property?

I was at my parents’ house, just arrived, parked my car, was still in it and my sister back into me on purpose. I will need to replace my bumper. She is on my parents insurance, so if I file a claim, it will make their insurance go up. She has told e she will not pay for the damage. What can I do?

Asked on July 7, 2016 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Although you can file a property damage claim with your parents' insurance company, the insurance company will deny the claim if it learns that your sister intentionally hit your car because auto insurance claims are based on negligence; not intentional acts.
Since your sister intentionally hit your car, you can sue her for trespass to chattel which is the intentional taking or damaging of the personal property of another.  After you obtain a court judgment against her, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.  She will also be liable for your court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.
You may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption