Can I sue for harassment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for harassment?

I was at Krystal’s in Florence last night and the cashier was being really rude the whole time. We had a few words and as I grabbed my food and walked out the cashier, one other employee and a manager came running out after me threatining to beat me up. My mom called the manager and she told her to bring her white a up there and she’d beat her and me up. We also asked for the corporate number and the manager said there wasn’t one. Is there anything that can be done? And if so, what do I need to do?

Asked on November 18, 2016 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue the store for this.
First, the only behavior that may be something that could be sued for is the threats of violence, since there is no law saying that one person cannot be as rude as he or she likes to another person, so the rudeness, words exchanged, etc., are simply not anything that could be sued over.
Threats of violence are against the law. But a store or other employer is *not* liable for the criminal acts of its employees, like threats of violence, because such acts are not part of their job or what they are hired to do; criminal acts are outside the scope of employment. 
In theory you could sue the employees who threatened you, but you can only recover compensation (money) equivalent to your injury--but you were not injured. Therefore while you could sue and a court would tell you that you were in the right, you would not receive any money for it, because you evidently did not suffer any  injury.
You could file a police report about their threats. And you obviously should not go to that store again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption