Can I sue for false accusations made by ex?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for false accusations made by ex?

My ex filed a false report with the county sheriff. He claimed that I stole a horse trailer that we agreed I would keep and be mine when I moved out of the residence that we shared 4 years ago. He strung me along and avoided providing me the title and eventually became hostile after I ceased all contact. He was not successful with the theft report after I contacted the sheriff and provided texts proving myself innocent. However, now I have been informed that he is reporting the trailer as stolen to the insurance company and they may come after me. What can I do?

Asked on May 17, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue him for defamation, for monetary compensation and/or a court order that he cease doing this and retract the statements he has made. Defamation is the making of false factual statements about you to other persons (or businesses), which statement damage your repuation or cause you other harm. Claiming you stole something when you did not would be defamation. 
To explore this option consult with a personal injury attorney: the same lawyers that do car accidents, slip-and-falls, etc. also do defamation cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption