Can I sue for a mobile home that was promised to me?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for a mobile home that was promised to me?

I live with a 77 year man who put the trailer we both live in in my name. I have been here 5 years and have done and spent quite a large amount of money on this thinking that someday it would be mine. Well he got angry at me and took my name off. Now I am out the money. Is there something that I can do? Can I sue? I have done so much – new paint job on inside and outside, new toilets, new sinks and fixtures, new fences and gates, put a fish pond in backyard, landscaping, roofing, etc. You name it, I did it. All with my money, my labor and time. New security screen doors too and more.

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your name was placed on the registered title of a mobile home through California's Department of Motor Vehicle's by a certain individual, he cannot unilaterally take it off. I suggest that you go down to California's Department of Motor Vehicles to confirm whether or not your name was ever on registered title to the mobile home and if so for what period of time.

If there were representations that you would end up owning part of this mobile home by a certain person and in reliance upon these promises you expended time, effort and money in improving the unit, you have a legal and factual basis to bring a lawsuit against him based upon "promissory estoppel."

I suggest that you consult with an attorney about your situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption