Can I sue for a hospital refusing to treat me

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for a hospital refusing to treat me

A state run hospital refused to
treat me and i have proof that they
have to treat me

Asked on August 17, 2019 under Malpractice Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If they refuse to treat you due to your race, religion, national origin, etc. then you may have a case and should consult with a civil rights lawyer. But they can refuse to treat you legally for a number of reasons, such as:
1) No guaranty of payment--e.g. you lack insurance; even state-run hospitals are not obligated to treat people, other than on an emergency basis (e.g. brought there with a heart attack or gunshot wound) without pay.
2) You have been disruptive at the hospital, have disparaged or attacked (including verbally) the hospital or its staff, etc.: for non-emergency cases, they can refuse to treat disruptive patients.
3) They do not believe that you need the treatment you believe you do, or feel the treatment would be ineffective or even counterproductive--they are allowed to use their medical judgment as to whether to administer treatment.
4) You have sued them prevously: that is a valid ground to not take you as a patient.
If they are refusing to treat you for one of the above or a similar reason, that is legal and you'd not have any case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption