Can I sue for 3 times the amount of a bad check, if I recently received the amount for the check?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for 3 times the amount of a bad check, if I recently received the amount for the check?

Can I sue for 3 times the amount of a bad check that was bad for insufficient funds, after getting the money for the check? Is it to late to sue for 3 times the amount. The check was $489 from 5 months ago and went insufficient 3 times, then she finally wrote a new check for $518 a month later and it went through. I’m about to sue this person for not paying me 3 other paychecks. I think she should learn a lesson because she has done this to 5 other coworkers and so I want to sue her for 3 times the amount of the bounced check that she had written as well. If I can. I’m not sure if its too late for that.

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The person may deserve to be taught a lesson, but it's too late for you to do it. If you have been paid the monies due you, you have no injury to sue for; also if she finally paid the full amount (and seemingly  tried several times to pay it), it would be difficult to show the requisite wrongful intent to recover additional amounts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption