Can I sue ex-girlfriend for rent she didnt pay.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue ex-girlfriend for rent she didnt pay.

Me and girlfriend moved into an apartment on a one year lease we split the rent right down the middle. We lasted 3 months and split up she moved out and never paid me another dime she has remained on the lease and now the lease is up. Curious as to what it would take to sue for her half.

Asked on November 7, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, since as you write, your ex-girlfriend was on the lease with you, she is obligated to you to pay her share of the rent. You could sue her for breach of contract (a lease is a contract) to recover her share of the rent. If the amount in issue is less than or equal to the limit for small claims court, suing in small claims as your own attorney ("pro se") is a very cost effective option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption