Can I sue employer for harassment

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue employer for harassment

Asking for my
daughter….daughter accused
of stealing medication from
nursing home where she
works. She agreed to a drug
test and is innocent.
Employer threatened to send
her to prison. He has no
proof of the theft

Asked on February 24, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't. 
1) As a general matter, the law doesn't require any person, including your employer, to be decent, reasonable, or respectful to you. There is no compensation for a person accusing you to your face of doing something you did not. People may be abusive to you.
2) More specifically to employment, employment in this nation is "employment at will." There is no right to or guaranty of a job, which also means there is no right to or guaranty of decent treament at work, and an employer may make employment awful: it may be insulting, cruel, etc. to employees. The presumption built into employment law is that if an employee does not like how she is being treated, she will find other employment. The recourse is to find a different job, not to sue over the behavior.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption