Can I sue an employer for favoritism and stress?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue an employer for favoritism and stress?

I wasn’t in an argument with a co-worker yesterday for not working. We both had words with each other but the boss told me if I ever get into an argument with him again I’ll be fired. And as far as the stress the tractor I drive has no ac but everyone else’s I work with does.

Asked on May 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, not having A/C is not legally actionable unless this violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. As for favoritism, unless it is due to some form of illegal discrimination (i.e. it is due to your race, religion, national origin, age (over 40), disability, etc.), it is perfectly permissable under the law. Basically, in an "at will" employment relationship, a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. For your part you can choose to either accept you working conditions, complain but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption