Can I sue a wedding venue for unfair business practices?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a wedding venue for unfair business practices?

Venue has been up-charging and making up charges because they were mad at me. After paying my deposit company says they refuse to work with me that they will only work with my wedding coordinator. Original coordinator wasn’t returning phone calls or emails because she said she didn’t feel like dealing with it. Now they want to just return my money and I will basically have to pick another wedding date and try to work things out with my other vendors as far as date. I have been working with them for 5 months. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under General Practice, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to prove the venue manager has been upcharging. If the venue staff have been upcharging, this could be considered unfair and deceptive practice or fraud, depending on the severity. Talk to the prosecutor in your town and see if anything can be done at that level or with the attorney general. But the bigger question will be that you may not wish to do business with such a company anymore. If this means you have to change everything around because this business is now breaching your contract with them, then you may be able to sue the venue for the amount of damages (additional monies you have to pay because of the changes five months later).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption