Can I sue a truck owner for injuries I received from a pipe sticking out of the truck?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a truck owner for injuries I received from a pipe sticking out of the truck?

I live in an apartment complex. I was
walking to my car at night and did not
see a pole that was sticking over the
back of a flatbed truck. The pole was
actually sticking out over the side
walk. And as a result I hurt my arm. I
had a cut and severe bruising.

I did not visit a doctor. Instead
decided to treat he injury myself.

Can I sue the owner of the truck?

Asked on August 2, 2017 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Without documentation of medical treatment by going to a doctor, you won't have any case. You will need medical bills and medical reports from the doctor to have a claim against the truck owner.  Prior to filing a lawsuit against the truck owner for negligence, if you had documentation of medical treatment, it may have been possible to settle the case with the truck owner's insurance carrier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption