Can I sue a real estate agent who sold me a home without building permits?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a real estate agent who sold me a home without building permits?

I bought a home last may unknowingly without building permits for many renovations, remodels and additions. The real estate never disclosed the lack of these permits. If I sue her for this do I have to incur the cost of having the additions approved before I sue?

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the real estate agent involved in the transaction concerning the home you bought that did not have proper building permits. However, my experience is that the seller of the property would be the main target for the simple fact that real estate agents generally do not have the legal duty to go offsite the property and search through permit records for a home unless asked to do so.

The measure of damages in your situation is the lesser of the current costs of repairs or the diminution in value at close of escrow. I recommend that you consult with a real estate attorney about your situation further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption