Can I sue a party for not payingfor a service that I provided after they said that they would?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a party for not payingfor a service that I provided after they said that they would?

I filmed and edited their wedding into a full length DVD after they asked me to and sad they would pay.

Asked on July 24, 2011 Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you had a contractual arrangment with someone (in writing) to film and edit the wedding and you both agreed on the scope of the work and the payment, then yes, you would be entitled to payment unless your contract said something to the effect that payment would be contingent on whether the couple approved or like the footage of the wedding. If you have given over the product to them and they still don't pay, you need to sue. If you have not given over the product to them you should consider sending letters explaining their responsibilities under the contract, include a copy of the contract and explain that the DVD will not be given without payment. If you do not have a contract, you will be only entitled to the worth of your job (reasonable amount usually set by the judge) and hard cost for things like DVD and product use. Consider starting with the letter via certified mail if phone calls and texts and emails have not worked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption