can I sue a manufacturer of broken screw in neck .

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I sue a manufacturer of broken screw in neck .

I had fusion surgery in neck and upper back to repair something that had not worked from a previous informed me that a screw had broke and it didn’t heal right.It has been a bumpy ride and I was scared to go back because he did a front neck surgery that did not fix the issue and I had to go a second surgery 2 weeks later through my back of my neck.I AM TRAUMATIZED AND TRIED TO BE OPTIMISTIC BUT AFTER GOING AND HAVING AN XRAY.I WAS TOLD THAT THEIR WAS A SCREW BROKE AND IT STILL DID NOT GET FIXED.What can I do legally?It is 2018 and the 2 surgeries were in 2011.The first 2 were done by his partner.I am terrified…Can I sue?/Barbara Duing

Asked on April 2, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it is too late to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the screw because Missouri has a five year statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit in a product liability(defective product) case.  Since the surgery was seven years ago, you have missed the five year statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the screw. Your lawsuit is barred by the statute of limitations. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption