Can I sue a gym for letting an underage 15 year old sign a monthly contract and not be occupied by an adult?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a gym for letting an underage 15 year old sign a monthly contract and not be occupied by an adult?

My son went to a gym with his uncle and signed up for a gym membership with nobody else helping him red the contract or explaining to him how it works. He is 15 years old and is

just about to turn 16 and I searched up and found that you can’t have a membership being

under 18 unless you have a legal gaurdian with you and he didn’t have any when he signed the contract.

Asked on September 22, 2016 under Business Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is not necessary to sue the gym because when the gym comes after you for failure to pay, you can assert minority (your son is a minor) as a defense to enforcement of the contract.
What was the role of the uncle?  Why didn't he intervene to prevent your son from signing the contract?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption