Can I sue a former employer for creating an invoice from me to him without my permission?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a former employer for creating an invoice from me to him without my permission?

My former employer creates invoices for his employees to sign as 1099 contractors to avoid paying taxes. I refused to create invoices from myself to his company because I was an employee. Then I was terminated. When he sent me my final paycheck, he created an invoice from me to his company just to prove a point and mailed it to me with my check. I never gave anyone permission to create invoices for me.

Asked on April 10, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Were you injured in some way? That is, did this cost you any money? Have you not been paid everything due to you? If you were injured, you may sue; if you were not injured, there is nothing to sue for, since the law requires (effectively) some cognizable injury or loss to support a claim or cause of action.

However, that said: if the proper taxes, unemployment, etc. were not  paid on your behalf, then you *might* have a claim for damages; for example, if the employer did not pay its share of FICA, but rather caused you to pay the "self-employment tax" that's a loss; depending on how much is at stake, it might be worthwhile bringing a claim.

If your employer did not pay the proper taxes, you also might consider blowing the whistle on him to the IRS and reporting his tax cheating.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption