Can I sue a company that I use to work forbecause they have a policy of never hiring previous employees?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a company that I use to work forbecause they have a policy of never hiring previous employees?

Can I sue a company that I use to work for and I left on excellent terms and I was a training manager. I reapply after 18 years and was told my resume was excellent but they have decided not to hire me. I tried to find a branch that wasn’t corporate it was and the manager there said the company has a policy of not hiring any past employees. Can I sue?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What would you be suing for? There must be some duty or obligation which is violated before  there are grounds for a lawsuit. However, a company is generally free to make its own decisions as to who to hire (so long as it does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, age over 40, disability, etc.); more specifically, there is no law requiring employers to re-hire past employees, no matter how good the prior relationship or separation had been. Since there is no legal obligation to rehire you, there is no lawsuit for their failure to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption