Can I sue a company for giving my paperwork to the wrong person with my personal information on it?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a company for giving my paperwork to the wrong person with my personal information on it?

I went to an office store to fax information to the star franchise board with all my personal information on it. The employee gave my paperwork to a woman instead of me and she left with it. Since the paperwork had all my personal info, is there is anything I can do?

Asked on February 9, 2012 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you suffer any injury which could be traced to this act--for example, identity theft; items charged to your account; damage to your credit rating; etc.--you may be able to sue the store for compensation; when someone causes you injury, damage, or loss due to their negligence (or  unreasonable carelessness), they can be held liable for the consequences. However, the legal system only provides compensation for actual, not theoretical, losses or injuries; if you do not suffer any injury, you could not recover compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption