Can I sue a bar/restaurant for being physically assaulted due to the negligence of the bouncers?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a bar/restaurant for being physically assaulted due to the negligence of the bouncers?

There were 2 bouncers were chasing an individual out of the bar. I was an innocent

bystander who happened to get blindsided and trampled by all 3 of them. The

individual being chased ended up escaping. I want to press charges on the bar due to the 2 bouncer’s negligence in the handling of the situation. They put me in danger when chasing this individual out of the bar. The situation could have been handled better without serious injury to innocent patrons. My injuries includes a gash to the forehead 7 stitches, a busted lip, and other minor bruises to the face requiring a visit to the ER. My girlfriend was also injured during this incident and is having serious back pain.

Asked on January 3, 2017 under Personal Injury, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Prior to filing a lawsuit against the bar/restaurant, it may be possible to settle the case with the bar's/restaurant's insurance carrier.  You and your girlfriend have separate personal injury claims.
When you or your girlfriend complete medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain your medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of wage loss. The personal injury claim filed with the insurance carrier for the bar/restaurant should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports document the nature and extent of the injuries and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
If the case is settled with the insurance carrier for the bar/restaurant, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the bar/restaurant.
If the case is NOT settled, your lawsuit for negligence against the bar/restaurant must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.
Your girlfriend would follow the same procedures with regard to her personal injury claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption