Can I sue an auto body shop?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue an auto body shop?

I dropped off a project car 1966 chevelle to body shop to have body work done and paint job. Owner came to my house for consultation and agreed to take my car to his shop. I paid a deposit of $3000 with the final project costing approximately $8000. After a little over a year he tells me he can no longer deliver what he promised because the car was too bad of shape even though he saw the car prior to beginning project. Owner has done minimal work on the car all he said he could do was cover it up and told me to sell it. Now he wants to keep the entire deposit and I get an incomplete car that I have to out back together. He has been hard to get a hold of during this project and doesn’t return calls for months. Just recently I asked to send pics of the car to see what stage the car is in and he can’t even do that. Do I have a case?

Asked on December 9, 2017 under Business Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the auto body shop for breach of contract.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the return of your deposit.  Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption