Can I sue regarding the health fee that my college includes as part of my tuition?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue regarding the health fee that my college includes as part of my tuition?

I’m a full time college student. I’m required to pay a health fee as part of my tuition, that fee covers counseling services on campus available to all

students. Can I legally be denied access to counseling services by the center’s director, especially after I have already paid and they don’t refund me the fee I paid? So, basically they get my money but don’t render services. They just pocket the money.

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can be denied access for several good reasons, such as: 1) you did not apply/sign up for the services properly (violated the rules for using it); 2) you have done something demonstrating that you are a threat to the counselors (they don't need to put their people at risk); 3) you are not currently a student in good standing (e.g. suspended); etc.. But if there is no "good cause" for denying you access, you may be able to sue--at a minimum, for a return of the portion of your tuition attributable to the services you did not receive, and/or for the out-of-pocket cost you paid for counseling elsewhere.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption