Can I subrogate a claim from my LLC to myself?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I subrogate a claim from my LLC to myself?

Can you subrogate a claim from your single member LLC to yourself to circumvent the ban on representation by a non-lawyer? In my state Ohio, I can’t represent my LLC pro-se, as that’s seen as practicing law by a non-lawyer.

But if I subrogate the LLC’s claim to myself, could I then represent myself pro-se in that claim? It’s a straightforward 700 breach of contract claim and getting a lawyer involved doesn’t make business sense.

Asked on October 1, 2019 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't subrogate the claim from an LLC to a member: there is no subrogation right for that. What you can do is buy the claim--it must be for a reasonable amount, though it can be at a discount to reflect that winning is never guaranteed and litigagtion has costs--from the LLC, taking "assigment" of the claim. As an assignee, you can then litigate it. So you could pay your own LLC $350, say (a 50% discount, to reflect risks and costs of litigation), the sue for the $700 claim. If challenged in court by the defendant, you'd have to be able to prove (e.g. by cancelled check or other monetary transfer) that you purchased and paid for the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption