Can I stop payment on a check?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I stop payment on a check?

I had my transmission rebuilt with a 1 year warranty. Original quote $475 but ended up $750. Was OK with the extra because of additional parts. It never worked quite right but I was told that it would be fine. It overheated and was slipping aftter 9 months. He said he would find out how much the labor would be. He never got back to me. It finally went out. He said it would be $400 to fix it – I paid it. went to get it and he wanted 1015 more or wouldn’t give me the vehicle back.

Asked on November 9, 2011 under General Practice, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a valid dispute over the payment of an item by way of a check, you can contact your bank and request a "stop payment" on the check.

The bank assuming the check has not cleared is required to stop payment on the check.

You need to be careful that if you have possession of your car and then stop payment on the check and the mechanic does not get the money, he or she most likely will file suit against you if the dispute is not resolved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption