Can I stop my former emplorer’s threatening text messages.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I stop my former emplorer’s threatening text messages.

I am in possession of my former employer’s laptop computer. I continue to receive threats of prosecution for the theft of his property. I have gone to his place of employment to return the computer to him and he refused to come to the first floor of the building in order to retrieve it. He wanted me to wait 45 minutes. I have informed him that he can pick it up from the front of my building, or that we could rendezvous, at our convenience, at a mutual place of worship. He insists that I accommodate his schedule and return the computer to his place of employment. He continues comma despite my protestations comma 2 harass me via text messaging threatening to file complaints with various jurisdictions. What are my rights?

Asked on November 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Send him a written messsage, sent multiple ways that you can prove delivery (e.g. email, text, and certified mail) that unless he sets a mutually agreeable appointment to return it in the next ten (10) business days, you will overnight it to him. If he sets a time, return it; if not, overnight it to him with Fed Ex or UPS and send him the tracking information.  Before doing that,, turn it on in the presence of a witness or two, demonstrate that it is in working order, and videotape that its working (e.g. with your phone), in case he later tries to claim it arrives broken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption