Can I stop a foreclosure by filing bankruptcy even if I have $100,000 in a trust that my husband left me?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I stop a foreclosure by filing bankruptcy even if I have $100,000 in a trust that my husband left me?

My husband passed away last year and left me $100,000 on life insurance. I have not used that money yet. My house is set for foreclosure in three days and I want to stop it by filing bankruptcy. Is it possible to file bankruptcy to stop a foreclosure even if I have the $100,000 in a trust right now?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can try to file a bankruptcy but if you have that much in liquid assets it could be considered a fraud on the court if you are filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  Before you do anything, consider talking to your lender about halting the foreclosure while you apply for a modification of some sort or something under HAFA (alternatives likes short sales).  This way, you can get rid of the home and still have your $100,000.00.  Talk to a bankruptcy attorney if you are concerned about the next steps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption