Can I still get money for damages to the property done by a tenant?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still get money for damages to the property done by a tenant?

I got into real estate a few years ago and I bought a house in OH; I live in PA. I remodeled the whole house and did a lease option with a lady for a year. She couldn’t get financing after the year was up so we went month-to month. The rent stopped so I went out to find the home trashed. I couldn’t find her and had to sell the house for $5,000. I had to let my business go. I recently found her and I am wondering if I can still go after her for damages. She was in agreement to buy home for $49,500. Before I go and spend money on a lawyer, I would like to know if there is anything that I can do?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's worth consulting with an attorney about this matter. There are two different possible theories to recover:

1) Depending on how the agreement was structured, what happened when she could not get financing (e.g. did you let her of her obligations?), etc., you may be able to hold her liable under the agreement for the $49,500.

2) Even if you can't do the above, if she "trashed" your home, she may be liable in tort for the damages she did; you could then possible sue her for the dimunition in value (since it seems you did repair the home).

Everything depends on the specific facts, which only an attorney can evaluate for you. Many lawyers will provide a free initial consultation, so it's well worth your while to meet with one. Don't delay; there's a time limit (called a "statue of limitations") on how long you have to sue, and since some years have gone by, you could be out of time or, if not, you may be running out of time. Contact the lawyer immediately. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption