Can I start my own company either LLC or sole proprietorship on OPT?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I start my own company either LLC or sole proprietorship on OPT?

I am an international MBA student on F-1 visa. I am planning on doing my OPT Optional Practical Training and would like to form an LLC or sole proprietorship in the U.S. after my studies while on OPT. Are there any legal constraints in doing


Asked on July 9, 2018 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can start your own business while on OPT and you can be self employed but keep in mind that as soon as the OPT ends, so does your employment authorization.  while you can continue to own the business after that, you can no longer derive any income from the business unless you have another way of getting employment authorization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption