Can I speak to my father’s real estate broker on his behalf?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I speak to my father’s real estate broker on his behalf?

I have questions about my father’s real estate transaction and I want to speak directly with his real estate broker. The real estate broker’s partner, who I think is scamming my dad, told me I need a notarized authorization stating I have his permission and he shouldn’t even be talking to me since I’m not an owner. Is this true? Can’t my dad just

call the guy and tell him my daughter or anyone else looking out for him can ask questions?

Asked on April 26, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your father could in theory authorize you orally to speak to the realtor. But in the event there is a dispute down the line--e.g. you and your father have a falling out, and your father is upset that you were involved in his business--it is understandable that the realtor would want something in writing for the file, to show that whatever they did, they did pursuant to their client's explicit written instructions. They have a legitimate interest in protecting themselves from a potential future claim they improperly shared information with you. Get them their letter--that's the easiest way to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption