Can I somehow make my cheating husband pay for our divorce?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I somehow make my cheating husband pay for our divorce?

My husband is a law school student, and he knows that since we have been married less than three years, he does not have to pay spousal support or alimony, etc. He has been cheating on me for a long time, I have physical proof. I cannot afford an attorny nor can I afford to pay to file the free forms online. Is there anything I can to do make him pay for this divorce? We have been marred for almost 1 1/2 years but we have been together for 7 years. I just want it all behind me.

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot afford an attorney to represent you in the marital dissolution that you seek, then you should contact the local "legal aid" facility in your county for assistance or contact your local county bar association to see if it has a program to assist a person such as you.

As for the filing fee, go to the county clerk's office and ask for a fee waiver to complete along with the summons and the petition for the marital dissolution that you seek.

As to who ends up paying what in the end regarding assets and liabilities, the courts typically end up dividing the assets between the respective spouses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption