Can I sign my car over to my daughter before I file for divorce so my wife can’t take it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sign my car over to my daughter before I file for divorce so my wife can’t take it?

I recently signed my car over to my daughter before filing for divorce. My wife has been breaking into my phone and printing out the texts between my daughter and I and found out. Can she still take me to court for a car no longer in my possession?

Asked on September 14, 2016 under Family Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she can take you to court for the car: you cannot hide or keep assets from a spouse in divorce by giving the assets away or titling them in someone else's name. The court can undo a transaction conducted to hide assets and/or simply require you to pay to your wife the value of the asset you kept from her. If you had sold it for fair market value to you daughter, then the court would not undo the transaction--but your wife would be entitled to her share of the sale price.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption