Can I set up an estate bank account without a lawyer?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I set up an estate bank account without a lawyer?

My mom recently passed, no property, estate, only $200. Check made out to her estate from small co-op. She has 1 bill of $600 due, how can I cash that check to pay that debt?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Given the small nature of your mother's estate and the $600 bill due, I suggest that you simply cash the check you have written about and pay the bill that is due. Make copies of the check and the bill that is being paid for future reference. Simply deposit the check into the bank account and use money from the account to pay the bill. You might need to speak with the bank manager to see what can be done for a bank withdrawal if you are not named on the account in addition to your mother.

For such a small amount at issue, practicality takes precedence over legal protocol.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption