Can I sell my house avia a quit claim deed and then the buyer can bring an action for quiet title regarding an easement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sell my house avia a quit claim deed and then the buyer can bring an action for quiet title regarding an easement?

I just inherited my father’s 1 acre and prefab house. When trying to sell it I was made aware there is an easement. Someone gifted half the acre a while back but my paperwork states an acre. I know that I can do a quiet title to clear it up but I don’t want too for financial reasons. So, can I sell my house as a quit claim deed and let the buyer do the quiet title when he buys it to clear up this?

Asked on June 23, 2019 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can: a quitclaim deed is a valid way to sell property, since it is legal to not "warrant" good title, but rather to only sell whatever title or interests you happen to have, which is what a quitclaim does. You have to divulge or disclose the existence of the issue to any prospective or actual buyers, and make clear that they would only be getting a quitclaim and not a warranty deed; otherwise, if fail to disclose those facts, you'd be committing fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption