Can I seal or hide my background?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I seal or hide my background?

I am trying to find out if there is any way for me to seal or hide my background. I cannot get a job due to it. I have changed my life and moved on. I have 4 charges, possession of drug paraphernalia, larceny over $200, 2 DUI’s. What can I do?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are having difficulty finding work due to your past criminal convictions, one possible and legal way to clean up your past is to retain a criminal defense attorney to see if any of your prior convictions can be expunged.

When a prior conviciton is expunged, the result is that the conviction no longer exists as a practical matter. There are many factors that play into whether a conviction can be expunged amongst them the passage of time, whether the person has turned his or her life around and the seriousness of the conviction.

There is no guarantee that any any conviction will be expunged. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption