Am I entitled to a rent abatement due to unauthorized access to our garage?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to a rent abatement due to unauthorized access to our garage?

I was in a 1 year townhouse rental. During the course of the lease, which just ended, the faulty garage door openers would allow a neighbor’s remote control to open and close our garage door. When we reported our garage door being left open against our consent, we were told by maintenance personnel that it was an on-going problem that the upper management refused to fix by replacing the garage door openers. Is this cause for a break of the lease agreement? Am I entitled to the deposit and rent abatement retroactively?

Asked on August 6, 2011 Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, a rent abatement  is given to a tenant under certain conditions.  One condition is where the apartment is not fit to be inhabited, such as a pest or rodent problem.  Another condition is where the roof leaks and they are forced not to use an area of the home.  Or the refrigerator breaks.  Or there is no heat.  Your issue needs to be delved in to further.  Is it a safety issue?  Is there access from the garage to the house?  Was your car damaged in any way?  Were you precluded from using it because your car was not safe?  A problem that you may have is that your lease term has ended.  You can try and sue and see what happens but I am not so sure you will be successful.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption