CanI resolve an FTA in a state other than the one in which it was issued?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI resolve an FTA in a state other than the one in which it was issued?

In 2004 I received a ticket in FL for “having an alcoholic beverage” in a state forest. Unfortunately I was unable to pay the fine or appear in court. So it resulted in a warrant for failure to appear. I live in another state and have lived here since 2004. I moved here right after receiving the ticket which is why I was unable to be in court. How can I take care of this warrant without returning to FL?

Asked on October 13, 2010 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You just can't "mail it in" as it were.  Your personal appearance will be required. Jailtime can be given in such a case. You will need to appear in CO since that is where the warrant was issued. Since you have not yet been arrested, turning yourself in as opposed to appearing before the judge courtesy of the jail bus will be of help.  Retain an attorney in the area where all of this occurred.  They'll have local contacts with the court and will best be able to negotiate on your behalf.

One thing is for sure, do not ignore this situation. If you are stopped for even something as minor as jaywalking you will be taken into custody.  Even if CO doesn't want to take the time and expense to extradite you for this, you can be arrested again in the future and have to go through the hassle and humiliation each and every time.  Additionally, this will all turn up on most employment background checks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption