Can I request reimbursement for receipts I have for company purchases made by me after my release?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I request reimbursement for receipts I have for company purchases made by me after my release?

It a family business owned by my sister. I have on many occasions bought things for the business with my money and turned in my receipts with no problems. I have sent her my receipts certified USPS one week ago and have not heard from her. What should I do? It is a considerable amount totaling about $1000.

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Was there any agreement that you would be reimbursed for expenses incurred on behalf of the business? The fact that you have previously been reimbursed suggests that there was--the ongoing course of conduct (that you would turn in receipts and be reimbursed) is evidence of an agreement to this effect.

In that case, you would seem to have a legal right to reimbursement; however, if the business will not voluntarily pay, your only way to seek reimbursement would be to sue. For the amount in question, you should probably sue in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption